While most of your time is spent with the children, working with their families is part and parcel of being a child care professional.
And, building a positive and trusting relationship is especially important when it comes to immigrant and refugee families. In fact, you may be one of their few connections in Canada. They will look to you for reassurance and advice, as well as for practical resources.
Obtain information on working with immigrant and refugee families, including helpful parent resources and links for newcomer families:
- Newcomer Parent Resource Series: Available in 16 Languages
- Why Is My Child Aggressive?
- When Your Child Has Nightmares
- What Can I Do If My Child Is Aggressive?
Resources published by CMAS on the subject of working with the newcomer parents and families who have children in your program
- 42 Easy Activities to Share With Parents
- A Beautiful Collection of Parenting Resources in Many Languages
- New Safe Sleep for Your Baby Booklet
- Multilingual mental health resources for newcomers
External publications and helpful links for parents and families available through the CMAS website