While most of your time is spent with the children, working with their families is part and parcel of being a child care professional.
And, building a positive and trusting relationship is especially important when it comes to immigrant and refugee families. In fact, you may be one of their few connections in Canada. They will look to you for reassurance and advice, as well as for practical resources.
Obtain information on working with immigrant and refugee families, including helpful parent resources and links for newcomer families:
- “New In Canada” Parenting Support Series – Brochures
- All About Child Care Brochure
- Newcomer Parents Speak Out On CNC – Unveiling Some Surprising Results!
- Helping You Meet the Requirements: Supporting Parents
Expert resources published by CMAS on the subject of working with the newcomer parents and families who have children in your program
- Safe Kids Week June 5-11
- Sun Safety
- Video Clips for Parent Meetings
- Helping Newcomers Prepare for Emergencies
External publications and helpful links for parents and families available through the CMAS website